Shannon's Life in 2012

Follow my life in 2012...as told by the movies.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Looking for Eric

So on Wednesday, my personality soulmate (Nicole) came over and we had our long lost friend reunion. Two weeks is TOO LONG. In addition to watching two AWESOME episodes of Wife Swap, we watched Allison's first movie selection: Looking for Eric.

This is a British movie (and I love me some British films) about a middle aged post office worker whose life is in a serious slump, and how he comes back from it. It was really good! Even Nicole liked it, and she hates all British things (not even joking).

I was definitely confused at first, because there are two Erics in this movie, the main character, and then Eric Cantona, the famous Manchester United Soccer player. I may or may not only know that because I had to look it up on Wikipedia at the beginning of the movie. I think this movie would have made slightly more sense if you were from England, where people actually care about and follow soccer/football. I know absolutely NOTHING about the sport, despite the fact that my dad has been all about it my entire life.

But half of the sport references in this movie probably would have been lost on me anyway, because they were mostly cultural. And as I am not British, I do not understand. But once you figured out that the two Erics were different people (and that the main character did not used to be a soccer player), it made more sense. And the acting was great, and I just really love british humor so that was great too. It was a happy, good ending kind of movie. DEFINITELY what I needed after the torture of the night before. UGH.

Next movie is Joe's choice, "The Usual Suspects." Now I'm not entirely sure when I'm watching this one, it depends on when Netflix delivers it and when I find time. But I'm glad I caught up a bunch this week and hopefully I'll be able to stay slightly more on top of this as time goes on!

HOORAY!

2 comments:

  1. What a great film! I was immediately skeptical upon viewing the opening scene of a man driving on the wrong side of the road. However, the feel-good ending and imaginary manifestation of a sports legend made for an enjoyable film. Also, Shannon, you need to post about wife swap. "NOT THE BIBLE I READ!"

    ReplyDelete