Shannon's Life in 2012

Follow my life in 2012...as told by the movies.

Monday, April 2, 2012

The Vow

WELL HELLO AGAIN.

I have been awful lately at updating all things in my life because March and Feb were so so so busy, but I'm using this week to try and catch up and get back on track. Which means not only am I blogging about The Vow today, but I'm going to watch THREE MOVIES this week. So get ready for lots of blogs.

The Vow was Evie's movie, so, appropriately, I saw it with her on what felt like the COLDEST DAY OF ALL TIME. But that's beside the point.

This movie was okay, and it was not what I expected. Maybe because it had Rachel McAdams, or who knows why, but I expected this movie to basically by The Notebook part 2. But it really wasn't. This movie was SAD!

SPOILER ALERT:

I really thought Rachel McAdams's character was going to regain her memory in some great moment of catharsis...but she never did. And even though you're left believing that the two characters do end up back together, it doesn't change how unsettled you're left by how horrible the whole situation was. I mean, what if that happened to you? You were fine and in love and happy, and one day, your significant other just...doesn't remember? And what if it wasn't a movie and they just moved on?

My grandpa is falling more and more into dementia, and so I was actually talking about this very phenomenon last week with my mom, aunt, and uncle. My uncle is a chaplain for an elder center in a hospital outside of Orlando, and he's seen couples where one spouse forgets they're married and falls in love with someone else. My grandpa is sort of doing that right now, although he's doing it to his second wife, so it's not exactly this "movie situation". But either way, it's just so sad! I spent the next couple days after watching this movie wondering how I would react if I were Channing Tatum. And this movie was based on a real couple (who also ended up falling in love again), so something like this could really happen!

In terms of the MOVIE, like I said, it was okay. Definitely more dramatic than real life, with its moments of sweetness, and semi-decent acting (Rachel was better than Channing, shocker). Will I buy it? No. Would I see it in theatres again? No. Am I glad I saw it and will I watch it on TV eventually? Yeah. It was one of those.

At least it didn't make me depressed on Valentine's weekend. Silver lining?

Up next: Ne le dis à personne, chosen by Ash, which I'm watching TONIGHT!

No comments:

Post a Comment